Background


Mr. Andrew
Ghazee of the AFMC Restoration Office, requested that AFRLIHEST conduct
an archival search, review, and analysis of existing records for the 1948
through 1970 time frame to determine the potential for the residual
presence of BW/CW agents, munitions, and training devices at AFMC bases
and related sites. This action was in response to a tasking received from
AF/ILEVR in September 1997. In order to accomplish this research,
AFRLIHEST contracted with STI under AF contract F41624-97 -D-6002 to
examine any plans, records, and reports that may indicate the presence of
BW/CW materiel on AFMC bases and related  sites during this time
period.


Archival
records and unit histories of the identified installations were reviewed at the
base historian’s offices. Environmental reclamation officers and
individuals at the Treaty Offices at each base were contacted for any
information they may have on previous reclamations and studies.


The Defense
Technical Information Center’s on-line technical reports data base
was searched for relevant data.


Links to the
Army Chemical Corps BW/CW program were identified and investigated.
If necessary, the Edgewood Arsenal and Fort Detrick historians were
contacted. Transfer of BW/CW materiel by the Army Technical Escort Unit
was tracked as records permit. An assessment was made for the discovery
potential of BW/CW materiel on the base as a result of the BW/CW program.
A report was written for each installation; this final report consists of
a compilation of all individual base reports.


Declassified Document



 Report
of Investigation: The Presence of Biological and Chemical Warfare Materiel at
AFMC Bases within the United States, June 2000
[235 Pages, 12.7MB]