expansion of the nation’s armed forces just prior to and during World War II
led to the establishment in 1940 of command and control organization for the
U.S. Army which had been envisioned much earlier by military planners. Indeed,
the concept actually had been enacted into law in the National Defense Act of
1920. General Headquarters (GHQ), U.S, Army, which was established in 1940, was
soon troubled by conflicts between its training, responsibilities and the
command and control of the ground combat troops and their supporting forces.
functions, however, were separated in 1942 when a general reorganization of the
War Department retained command and control of the ground combat troops at the
departmental level, while assigning responsibility for training to the troops
to the newly established Army Ground forces (AGF).
cessation of hostilities in 1945, the recommendations of both the Patch and
Simpson Boards resulted in combining these functions once again in the Army
Ground Forces structure.
at combining the functions as short-lived, at best, since a general
reorganization of the redesignated Department of the Army in 1948 established
the office of the chief of Army Field Forces (OCAFF) as the training arm of the
Army. OCAFF was, in reality, a staff agency of the Department of the Army and
was not a legitimate separate command.